Thailand is one of the most unique and beautiful places in the world. As a result, it is a country that is known by most people on the planet. The Thailanders are known to be hospitable and friendly to tourist. In fact, Thailand is also known as the “Land of Smiles”.
Fun, Interesting and Cool Facts
- In Southeast Asia, Thailand is the only country that has never been colonized by any European country. As a matter fact, the term Thailand is roughly translated from the country’s language to “land of the free”.
- In Thailand, it used to be customary for all males to become a Buddhist monk for a certain time. However, this practice is not observed anymore.
- Only about 100 years ago, the northern area of Thailand is almost completely covered with hardwood forest. Nowadays, only about 1/4 of the forest is still standing. As a result, Thailand has completely banned logging.
- Of the total population is Thailand, it is estimated that 1/10 that resides in the capital city of Bangkok .
- Thailand is one of the countries in the world that has the highest numbers of temples. In fact, there are roughly 35,000 of them in Thailand. If you’re planning to visit one of these temples, it is required that you wear something modest. This means no sleeveless shirts or shorts.
Thailand is considered to be the 50th largest country in the planet. Its size is roughly the same to Spain. As Thailand is located about 15 deg north of the equator, the country features subtropical climate. Thailand is known for its highest peak, which is Doi Inthanon that stands about 2,565 meters tall. Thailand boasts a coastline of 3,219 km long, which is one of the longest in the world.Sponsored Link
Thailand has a lot to offer when it comes to tourist destinations as the country is rich in natural beauty and culture. One of the most defining attractions of Thailand are the beaches like Koh Phangan(Not just a party island), Hua Hin, Koh Tao and Ko Phi Phi.
If you’re looking for a palace that is uniquely Thailand, then the Grand Palace is the place to be in Bangkok.
Parks: 33 National Parks and 3 Marine Parks. A popular one to visit is Tarutao National Marine Park.
Thailand’s population is roughly estimated to be at 65 million citizens and around 80% are the ethnic Thai. The 20% of the population are Lao, Burmese, Khmer, Mon, Malay, Indian and Chinese. Roughly about 7 million citizens are residing in Bangkok, the capital city of the country.
Thailand has a total of 32 cities spread across the country. The capital city is Bangkok, and it’s the country’s most famous city. Other larger sized cities include Nonthaburi, Pak Kret, Hat Yai, Nakhon Ratchasima and Chiang Mai(Info/Facts).
When compared to the rest of the world economy, Thailand is considered to be a newly industrialized economy. Thailand’s economy is heavily dependent on exports, accounting two thirds of its total GDP. As of the moment, Thailand is considered to be the largest exporter of rice.