The durian fruit is regarded as the “King of fruits” by many Southeast Asians. This exotic fruit is characterized by a strong odor, a large size and formidable thorn-covered husk. A normal sized fruit can grow up to 12 inches long and 6 inches wide. It weighs about 2 to 7 pounds.
The fruit is available in various shapes ranging from round to oblong. It is greenish brown in color from the outside but has a flesh that is yellowish red, depending on the tree species it is derived from.
In some countries because of their pungent smell, the fruit is prohibited in hotels, buses, and airplanes.
by Amani Hasan – Insides of a Durian
Durian is very popular in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines. It is found in plenty during season in street markets of South East Asia and can also be found in the United States in Asian Groceries.
by tallkev – Durian at a Night Market
The fruit is strictly seasonal and grown between June and August. Despite its foul smell, researchers have claimed that it has many health benefits.
How To Eat A Durian
This exotic fruit has a sugar cream taste. It has a dense, slimy inner pulp inside which is to be eaten. Eating a durian is simple but can get a bit messy.Sponsored Link
First you need to lay down a few sheets of paper so that your kitchen counter or table doesn’t get stained or scratched with the fruit. Next, take a knife and make a deep cut into the durian about 8-10 inches long. Dig your hand into the cut and pull apart the hull. Be careful while doing this or you might prick your hand with the shell.
by Georg Wittberger – Orang Asli(indigenous people of Malaysia) opening a durian
Once you have two halves of the fruit, take your knife and cut into the fibrous divider along the center of the half. Pull the sections apart and enjoy the edible flesh with a spoon or your bare hands.
Health Benefits Of The Durian Fruit
Researchers have constantly highlighted durian health benefits in many studies. However, the foul smell of the fruit often repels people. Many have described the stink as onions and turpentine adorned with a gym sock. Recently, scientists discovered that the presence of 50 discrete compounds in the fruit is responsible for its terrible odor. Here are few health benefits:
- The fruit is rich in vitamins, minerals and energy. 100 gm of this fresh fruit equals to 147 calories.
- The fruit is rich in dietary fiber which keeps cancer-causing chemicals in the colon at bay.
- Durian has plenty of vitamin-C which helps build resistance to infectious agents and viruses.
- It is also a great source for B-complex groups of vitamins.
- It also has high levels of potassium and essential amino acid which helps regulate metabolism in the body
- It protects against cancer and increases immunity
- It improves bone health and sleep quality
- It cures anemia and maintains blood pressure
- It improves digestion and slows down ageing process.